Autumn: Our tips for perfectly hygge decor
Have you heard the term “hygge”? Pronounced “hoo-gah,” this lifestyle concept from Denmark and Norway means fostering feelings of well-being and happiness by creating an atmosphere of comfort and warmth. It’s a positive state of mind based on feeling cozy, inside and out. Decor is a key element! Now that autumn is here and the days are getting colder, it’s time to hygge-fy your condo. Here are our tips.
The hygge lifestyle is mainly associated with winter. Cold weather is meant for cocooning, unwinding and snuggling up—the perfect time to put this Scandinavian philosophy into practice. Any aspect of your space that helps you relax and feel good is considered hygge. Decorations, furniture and accessories are hygge if they help make a room cozy.
- If you’re lucky enough to have a fireplace, you’re already a hygge pro! Anything that warms you up, like a wood stove or a hot bath, can help you embody this comfy trend.
- Mood lighting is a must to create a cozy feel. String lights are a popular, Pinterest-approved option. Lamps with soft lighting and candles also fit with the hygge lifestyle.
- Do you have a reading corner with a plush armchair and a snug blanket where you like to enjoy a cup of tea? You’re already living the hygge life!
- Think about textures. Anything comfortable—furry cushions, fuzzy carpets, cozy throw blankets—are essential for this Scandinavian lifestyle.
- Neutral colours, a minimal aesthetic, natural materials and green plants are also a big part of creating a hygge space.
This Nordic trend translates easily to Québec. We know all about cultivating warmth, togetherness and the comforts of home in the midst of long winters. Simply follow our tips to go full hygge!